Tuesday, December 7, 2010

Brooke Lowe Benefit/ Miss Hartford County & Rocky Hill

Saturday, November 20th

This morning I was at the Rocky Hill High School to visit all of the girls competing in tonight’s pageant and to wish them luck!

This evening I had the honor of attending an event in Bristol to benefit my 9 year old, beautiful friend, Brooke Lowe. I have mentioned Brooke in previous posts already, one in particular was when I went to visit her at her home. I share her story whenever I have the opportunity and sell her bracelets to help with the cost of medical expenses. Brooke is a young girl that I met about five years ago when she came up to sing with me at a Christmas event in town. I have developed a close relationship with her and her family since that day. She has been diagnosed with OTC deficiency, a life threatening illness. This evening, I was a part of a big fundraising event for her. She was so excited that I was coming! She has been practicing songs for over a month now because I told her I wanted her to sing with me. I entertained over 600 people that came to support her cause (what an incredible turnout!!) Then, I called Brooke on the stage to sing with me. I could tell she was nervous, as she stood close by my side. I wrapped my arm around her as we sang “The Climb.” I was filled with such strong emotions through the few minutes of the song that I couldn’t help but tear up, as did many others who were watching. I thought about the time five years ago when her & I sang together, she was only four years old. I also thought about the lyrics of the song- an uphill battle and struggles that are sometimes faced when making the climb to reach the top- being so appropriate to Brooke’s everyday struggles to survive, and how Brooke had told her mom a couple of weeks ago that the only thing that would make her feel better is seeing me. I live for moments like that- Moments that make me so happy that I want to cry. I truly feel that I have made an impact in Brooke’s life, as she has made a difference in my life.






Tonight was the Miss Hartford County/ Miss Rocky Hill Pageant. Miss Hartford County was my local title before winning the state title. Nakiya, Tracy, Elaine, Linda, and Marie all worked very hard to put on an amazing show.

Congratulations to…

The New Miss Hartford County: Martha Price

Miss Rocky Hill - Kaitlyn Tarpey

1st Runner Up - Elizabeth Wong

2nd Runner Up - Ashley Membrino

3rd Runner Up - Taylor Jenette

Hartford County's Outstanding Teen - Annalisa Sega

Rocky Hill's Outstadning Teen - Alyssa Anderson

1st Runner Up - Danielle Trusch

2nd Runner Up - Sarah Decker






Total: 7,170.5 miles

No comments:

Post a Comment