Tuesday, December 7, 2010

"One World" design contest at Connecticut Children's Hospital/ Ragtime Boutique

Thursday November 18th

Today was the day of my monthly visit to see the children at Connecticut Children’s Medical Center. I had been anticipating today’s visit for quite some time now because it was the day of my logo design contest. I organized an art project in the play room of the hospital for children to have an opportunity to create a design for my platform “One World: Hope for All Children.” My goal is to have the logo that I choose printed on T-Shirts and sold at upcoming events. This will raise awareness of my mission and half of the proceeds will benefit Connecticut Children’s Hospital and the other half will help sick children in Cambodia at the Sok Sabay Medical Clinic, where I serve on the board of directors. It was meaningful to see how my message was portrayed through the eyes of children. There were so many wonderful pieces of art; I cannot wait to announce the winner!


After my organized project, I went to the floor of the hospital where cancer patients were cared. I participated in a treasure hunt that the staff organized for one young boy. I joined the group of six small children as they wheeled around their IV poles that were nearly twice their size, on our mission around their floor of the medical center. The smiles brightened the hallway as the pirates answered each clue provided by a hospital staff member to arrive closer to the treasure. Finally, they children found the “X” that marked the spot and there was a mustache making party! We had a great time creating our own mustaches and beards, laughing with each other, and taking pictures.

It is impossible to imagine what these children and their families are going through. The pain, suffering, and obstacles that are faced each day by these young and innocent children just does not seem fair. But I am there to bring my message of hope and happiness to these children. And the truth is, they are happy- just like any other healthy child. Their courage is an inspiration to me. I pray for my friend Jillian Duffy, 13 years old, who has just been diagnosed with leukemia and has started chemotherapy.

The memories I have from today are definitely unforgettable.

After leaving Hartford, I drove to Watertown to pick up a dress from Natalie at Ragtime Boutique that Mary Jane had altered for me. Thank you for providing me with beautiful dresses for my appearances! You are truly the best.

Tonight I went to dinner with my great friend, and constant supporter Diana Laroe! It was nice to catch up and a perfect way to end a wonderful day.

Total: 7040.5 miles


No comments:

Post a Comment