Thursday, December 23, 2010

RECENT ACCOMPLISHMENTS!

Just thought I would give a quick update on some recent accomplishments!!

The semester at school has come to an end. Even with my busy Miss Connecticut schedule and Miss America preparation I received a 4.0 GPA!


Also, I have recently received a shipment of hundreds of pairs of CROC shoes worth in value over $5,000. I will be sending this shipment to the Christian Haitian Orphanage in Haiti. Angela Vonella, from the CROCS store at Westfarms mall contacted me after seeing my video that I produced to make the donation. I want to thank them from the bottom of my heart for their generosity. The children will be so excited to receive a pair of shoes!

I wrote about Canterbury Elementary School in a previous post about a month ago. The children have been working extremely hard throughout the entire month of November and they have raised over $1,000 for the orphanage in Haiti!! This goes to show how people (even very young children!) can come together to make a HUGE difference. They truly understand the concept of being a part of “One World.” THANK YOU!

Another Brittany Mission: I know I have previously posted a few times about my very special friend- 9-year old girl, Brooke Lowe. Just to recap, Brooke has been diagnosed with OTC deficiency (Ornithine Transcarbamylase). OTC is a life-threatening illness where her body builds up ammonia, a very strong toxin, which stays in her system.

had the idea to grant her wish of flying her to Las Vegas with her mother for the Miss America Pageant. Her mother was in tears when I mentioned the idea! I have chosen her as my sign-holder to be part of the "Show Me Your Shoes" parade on Friday with all of the other Miss America contestants.

Many thought I was crazy when I brought up the idea because Miss America is coming so soon, I still need to raise my own funds to pay for the cost of my wardrobe etc., and everyone wants me to focus on my own preparation- all I must say, are very valid points. However, I just feel so lucky to have this once in a lifetime opportunity and I want to be able to share it with someone special. I just cannot let money get in the way of a memory of a lifetime for the both of us to share and the opportunity to change a little girl’s life. That is what Miss America is all about- impacting the lives of others.

Within 24 hours I sent out about 100 e-mails and went to several local businesses to ask for help with this mission. Well, the plane tickets are booked and Brooke and her mother are on their way to the Miss America pageant. Nothing is impossible :).



I would also like to mention that my new friend Zac Thomas is including me as a part of his project/ presentation for school.. I feel so honored! Thank you Zachary!

No comments:

Post a Comment