Wednesday, November 3, 2010

Canterbury Elementary School Haiti Fundraiser Kick-off/ Judging Mr. Mills!

Thursday, October 28


Today was a very exciting day. I drove to Patty May’s school where she is a music teacher, Canterbury Elementary school. The students at the school are having a fundraiser in my honor to support the orphanage and the children I am close to in Haiti. I went to their monthly assembly to kick-off the fundraiser! First off, I would like to commend the school on doing such a wonderful job with bringing together their school community. During their assembly they recognized the students with birthdays this month, they awarded two artists of the month, one young girl sang a song to the audience, and they highlighted three students as hostesses. Recognizing accomplishments of students is the perfect way to instill self-confidence.





Everyone at the school made me feel so welcome, especially the students! They were excited to see me, just as I was very excited to see them. When I spoke, the children were extremely engaged. I told the kindergarten through forth grade students of the children I know in Haiti that are their age. I shared a few stores and let them know how much of an impact they are making on myself and to the children at the orphanage. I explained that the children there are happy- they smile and laugh just like them; kids are kids everywhere. However, it is important to help give them some of the necessities they need to survive to make their lives a little bit easier. The students and the parents who attended were very enthusiastic about helping, which made me very excited! After I spoke, the chorus sang the song “We Are The World.” It brought tears to my eyes because that is the song my little friends in Haiti sing to me. It reinforced my feeling of how close we all really are; how distance shouldn’t serve as a barrier for bringing people together. I ended the assembly thanking them once again, singing the song “Over the Rainbow” and ended on an energetic note singing “Somedays You Gotta Dance.” All the children got up to dance, laugh, and celebrate.




Mr. Mills Pageant

This evening I had the privilege of judging the Mr. Mills “Pageant” at Lewis Mills High School in Burlington. I judged with some of the school’s faculty members. The phases of competition included: Personality wear, Marriage proposal, talent, onstage question, and work apparel. The contestants were all so talented in their own unique way. It was extremely entertaining to watch!! I was able to crown the winner :)





Miles: 133.4

Total: 6,247.2 mi

No comments:

Post a Comment