Wednesday, November 3, 2010

Connecticut Children's Hospital: Reverse Trick-or-Treat!

Friday, October 29


Today was a very memorable day. I went to Connecticut Children’s Hospital to celebrate Halloween with children who are unable to go out for Halloween. I was considered an honorary employee for they day as I dressed up with the staff to take part in the reverse Trick or Treat! I was in a group with the foundation members and our theme was Mother Goose and her Nursery Rhymes; I was Little Miss Muffet. We walked around to visit the sick children in their rooms and deliver a bag of treats and a smile to brighten their holiday. They were all very excited to see us. Many parents very thankful as well because they said their children were very upset they could not be a part of normal Halloween festivities. It was just as rewarding for us to see the smile on the faces of the children we met.


After walking around the floors of the hospital, we went to a brief reception downstairs. Marty, the President/CEO of the hospital (who I have a met a few times previously, the most genuine person!), and I judged a pumpkin contest that the employees took part in.


Afterwards, Scott took me to see many babies who were born prematurely. I saw one baby who couldn’t have been any bigger than my hand; she was 1 lb. 5 oz. It was a very sad sight to see. Thankfully the baby is in extremely good hands at Connecticut Children’s. It is the best place for a child who needs care to be!


Finally I was able to get a flu shot to end the day! This was the best way I could have ever celebrated Halloween.



I want to say thank you to Scott Organek for really developing the relationship between the Miss Connecticut Organization and the Children’s hospital. He has been a hospital employee since 1996 and he recently was elected to the Miss Connecticut Board of Directors. We are so lucky to have such a close relationship with the hospital to foster Miss America’s National Platform, the Children’s Miracle Network. Scott is truly passionate about helping kids. He has become a very dear friend of mine. You’re the best Scott!


10/29: 30 miles

Total: 6,277.2

No comments:

Post a Comment