Wednesday, November 3, 2010

Presentation/ Celebration at Western New England College

Tuesday, October 26

"Reporting from Haiti and Cambodia: A Personal Perspective of Hope and Healing"




Interview with Channel 40


Today was a very special day. My wonderful Professor, Brenda Garton, along with other Western New England College staff organized a big event for me at the college to speak about my platform and experiences abroad and to celebrate for Miss America in January. Many showed up to support the event including almost the entire Miss Connecticut Board of directors, friends and colleagues from school and home, Joner- my friend from Haiti, my family, many professors, deans, administrators, and the President of the college- Dr. Caprio.

My very supportive best friends who are also coming to Vegas to support me at Miss America!
The Miss CT Board of Directors!


At the beginning of the evening I was interviewed by the local news station, channel 40. As people entered, a video of my crowing and talent was playing to give a little insight of the Miss Connecticut pageant. Professor Garton, Dean Saeed Ghahramani, and Dr. Caprio all gave me an extremely kind introduction. Then I had the opportunity to speak. I began with thanking everyone from the bottom of my heart for the constant love and support I receive. The people that were in that room were those that are closest to me in my life right now. Each person contributing in different aspects of my life to help me become who I am today.

Next, I briefly spoke of the Miss America Organization and how it has impacted my life. I think it is very important to explain my pageant life to those who don’t truly understand what it is all about. I explained the four points of the crown; Style: not about the clothes I wear, but about wearing a smile on my face, showing self-confidence, and carrying myself in a positive manner because that is a true reflection on who I am everyday; Scholarship: I explained how Miss America contestants are extremely intelligent, how I take academics very seriously, and how the scholarships I have received through pageants have helped me to pay for my education; Service: I explained about how I got involved with the system at a young age because my parents instilled the importance of giving to the community. Each and everyday I dedicate a part of myself to service for others; and Success: being a well rounded, committed, self-disciplined, ambitious person and living the lifestyle of a Miss America everyday, with or without the crown. After I explained the four points, I think the audience had a better understanding of the Miss America Organization and my purpose for being a part of it.

I then spoke of Western New England College and how much of an impact it has made on my life. The opportunities I have received from the college are endless and the support of the staff goes well beyond their required duties. I truly feel that I am a walking billboard for the college everywhere I go… whenever anyone asks where I go to school, I not only respond but I go on and on about how incredible the college is. Professor Garton and her family and Dr. Caprio, the college President, are even going to Las Vegas to support me at Miss America!!!

The bulk of my presentation was on my platform, "One World:Hope for All Children." I shared my experience with children I have inspired around the United States. Then, I shared my documentary that I created in Cambodia that won an Associated Press award earlier this year. Dr. Mary-Anne Herron, the woman I accompanied to Cambodia, was also there to share her kind words. Next I shared my music video that I created while in Haiti. I shared many personal stories and Joner even spoke of living his entire life in Haiti. I truly feel that the audience was inspired by my message. That means the world to me.

Mary Anne Herron and I

I finished speaking and answered many questions. Professor Battema, the Communications Chair, ended the presentation with his generous words of encouragement and support. And finally there was a reception with food and cake to wish me luck at Miss America. I can't even explain in words how thankful I am of all the support, I can't say it enough...

Thank you Western New England College!

My grandparents!
Dean of Arts and Sciences: Saeed GhahramaniJoner, John and I!

My sister Sarah and I

Communications Chair, Professor Doug Battema

And the amazing Brenda Garton, my Professor, friend, and one of my biggest supporters! Thank you for all that you do.

No comments:

Post a Comment