Wednesday, November 10, 2010

Veteran's Day Parade/ Antenna Salon/ Storybook Gala for Connecticut Children's Medical Center

Saturday November 6th: Day 1 of a very eventful weekend!



Early this morning was the Veteran’s Day Parade. FX and Loretta were there waiting when I arrived. The parade began in Pawcatuck, CT and crossed the border into Westerly, RI. I truly enjoyed listening to those who spoke at the ceremony following the parade. I even had the opportunity to speak. I thanked all of our Veterans and our active duty service men for all that they do for us. They should all be celebrated not only on Veteran’s Day, but everyday. Seeing the chaos, disorder, and lack of freedom in the third world countries I have visited, helps me appreciate even more the freedom that our United States military has fought for us to have, and put their lives on the line to keep for our country everyday. I told of my very close friend, Matt Lavoie, who was in a roadside bomb a couple of years ago in Iraq. He has undergone over 50 surgeries and has lived at Walter Reid Hospital in DC. for the past two years. It is the service men and women in our country who are our hero’s.



After the ceremony, my mom and I drove to Antenna Salon in Norwich so they could make me look beautiful for the gala that was later that evening. JD and his amazing staff always make me feel like a million dollars!! They go way above and beyond. I felt so special as JD curled my hair, Janet painted my nails, Hector did my make-up, and a woman from the Norwich Bulletin interviewed me- all at the same time! Also, Prime Restaurant across the street brought over a platter of delicious sandwiches for lunch!! I always love to go to Antenna!






This evening was very special. It was the Children’s Medical Center’s 2010 Storybook Gala to raise money for the hospital. I was very honored to be invited to this event and to have Scott Organek come with me. We arrived around 5:30 for the cocktail hour prior to the event to mingle with everyone. I met the emcee, Mike Hydeck- former WFSB Channel 3 anchor who now anchors in Washington D.C. I also met the guest speaker, Mike Lupica, a famous sports author and a very nice guy! I sat at a table with a very nice family; it was great to meet them and they were a lot of fun to talk to. The dinner was incredible and I really enjoyed listening to Marty (the president/CEO of the hospital) and Mike Lupica speak. After dinner I helped Mike Hydeck and the auctioneer announcer with the auction. It was unbelievable how giving many of the people there were. There was one anonymous donor of $150,000! Many others donated amounts- as much as $20,000, $15,000 down to $500. There were over 500 people in attendance and they usually raise over $500,000 at the event for the hospital. How amazing is that?! At the end of the evening the band played music and I was dancing with many new friends. I felt honored to be at such a wonderful event… especially because it was for the Children’s hospital!


Mike Lupica, Sports Author


Miles: 197.3

Total Appearance Miles: 6,584.5 miles

No comments:

Post a Comment