Monday, September 27, 2010

Constitution Day at Maple Hill Elementary




Friday Sept 17
Happy Constitution Day!! This morning Michael Little brought me to Maple Hill Elementary School in Naugatuck to speak about Constitution Day. The mayor, a senator, and State Representative were there as well. Before the assembly began, I went around to meet the children… They were so cute, and so excited to meet me- just as I was excited to meet all of them. They all cheered loudly as the principal introduced me. Instead of speaking the whole time, I decided to sing about the Constitution (I sang the Constitution/ Preamble song from School House Rock!) . I then explained to the children how lucky we are to live in America because of all of the freedoms and opportunities we have given to us by the constitution. I told a few stories of my experiences abroad with children in Cambodia and Haiti- and how those children I have met do not all have the chance to learn at school or to be provided with medical care if needed- things we may not even realize we are so lucky to have. I asked the children if they have goals and dreams..one girl raised her hand to tell me she wanted to be a veterinarian a boy raised his hand to tell me he wanted to be a cop. I encouraged each person in the room to think of their dream to focus on.

The children were all so cute! The Mayor explained that some very famous people signed the constitution and he asked if anybody knew one of the people who signed the important document. One little girl said raised her hand and said, “Miss Connecticut.” The kindergarteners thought I was the tooth-ferry, a third-grader asked for my phone number, and every kid wanted a hug! (haha)

This was definitely one of my favorite appearances so far!

No comments:

Post a Comment