Wednesday, September 8, 2010

Day 3: Bringing baby Jonathan to the hospital



Tuesday, Sept. 8, 2010

This morning we woke up bright and early again. We spent a lot of time outside this morning with the children. John taught the boys how to throw a football while I sang with the girls and taught them some new songs.










At 10am John and I went with Montillio, Dr. Franco and one of the sisters to bring a newborn baby to the hospital. The baby is 25 days old and was abandoned by his mother at birth, so the orphanage took him in and gave him the name Jonathan. His hands and feet are deformed, his spine is only halfway developed, and he has a serious respiratory and internal problems. Our goal today was to take him to the hospital for a check up before he is sent to Maryland to receive major surgery so that he will have a chance to live. It literally took the entire day for a doctor to see this baby. We had to go to three different hospitals and wait several hours at the last one just for the baby to get an X-Ray and draw blood. I held the baby in my arms the entire drive there and back. I was worried about the extremely bumpy roads and the heat effecting the baby in the truck and it was obvious the baby had a hard time breathing. I carried the baby inside when the doctor drew the blood. She put two needles into his head. As the baby was sweating, panting to catch a breath, and crying… I was crying right there with him. I just felt so sad for the situation the he was in. I also could not help but thinking about the Connecticut Children’s hospital, where I often visit. They never deny care for a child at the hospital and they will make sure the baby is cared for as soon as possible. If only baby Jonathan could have that same chance. We didn’t get back until after 7pm… it was a very long day.












When we arrived back to the orphanage the children were so happy to see us because they did not expect us to be gone the entire day. I am now sitting in the room with 8 girls and John hanging out and listening to music while Isabelle braids my hair!




No comments:

Post a Comment