Tuesday, September 14, 2010

Refugee Camp, letters, Orevwa CHO/ Haiti :(




Sunday September 12

I did not sleep well last night.. My mind kept racing with thoughts and feelings of leaving tomorrow. I woke up at 4am with Darlene right by my side and her head on my shoulder. Malanata woke up and immediately began to cry. I got up and finished packing my bags… Saying good-bye to every single child at CHO is the hardest thing to do. Gaye Paye and Clifford were both crying… the others were very sad too as they watched and waved… I gave Darlene and Malanata a huge hug and kiss and I promised I would be back again as soon as I could. I wrote them each a letter in Creole and in English and gave them a necklace. I love them so much. They both stood and watched with tears rolling down their faces as our truck pulled out of the orphanage gate.










We left the orphanage at 6am to go to a Refugee Camp to give food to those who lost their homes in the earthquake and now struggle everyday to keep alive in tents. Dr. Franco told us how a couple of weeks ago a girl came up to him crying that she kept getting raped in the camp. It is a hard life to live. Dr Franco’s mother and sister woke up at 1am to cook all of the food we handed out. John and I were able to pay for all of the food with the money we collected through our fundraisers. When we arrived, Dr. Franco and Denys preached to the children for a while. I was able to speak as well- telling the children to love their friends and family and to help each other… Also, that it is important for every one of them to have dreams and goals – no matter what circumstance or living conditions they come from I explained they can succeed. They smiled and their eyes sparkled as they looked at me- I’m not sure if it was because I looked like a foreigner or because they were listening to my message- either way, I hope they follow my words of hope and encouragement.

At the airport, I had Dr. Franco translate four of the letters that the girls had written for me… I will share with you two of them..

The first is from a girl named Marjorie; she is 19 years old. She was one that had to leave the orphanage this week because she is older than 18. Her maturity, however, is not that of an 19 year old- it is much younger. She was born in a prison, her mother managed to escape and she left her there, she has had a very rough life that is impacted her tremendously.. Dr. Franco wanted to find a home for her to live in because he thinks she will easily be sent into human trafficking.. However, Marjorie left the orphanage before Dr. Franco had the opportunity to tell her and he called her several times, no answer…. She wrote me this letter before she left…( It was actually written in broken English)...

Dear Sister Brittany,

I greet you in Jesus name. How are you? Your family and your activity? By my side I’m not feel ok. So I’ve a lot of problem. I love you so much. I’ll go live far from here (La Plaine). I’ll never forget you into my prayer at all. That make me so sad cause we gonna separate but I’m asking you something that more than all thing’s so important… Pray for me so God can make ways with me and other things coming after. I write u to said u good bye. I’m outside of the gate now by CHO. I wanna u help me how you can, or you might check someone who able to help me with school specially because I’m an orphan in the street. I’m counting in your prayer. Don’t forget me please so God might open his doors before me. I love you so much. May God bless you and protect you forever and evermore in Jesus name.

Love Marjorie.


Another letter was from the nine-year-old little girl who I have become so very close to and who I love very much… It was written in Creole… Dr. Franco translated.

She wrote..

Brittany,

Today it is a pleasure to write you this letter. I want you to know that you mean a lot to me and I care about you. I don’t believe that you love me more than I love you. I consider you as my mother and my older sister. I would like you to spend all of your time with me. I would like you to stay in Haiti with me. You see because you are going to America – I want to go with you, or if you stay in Haiti I want to stay with you. I love you and John. I would like you to become Miss America. I love you a lot a lot! Even you leave you will remain in my heart forever. I will always remember you- I will always love you and John. Remember me when you get home. I love you a lot I will pray for you- I will pray you have a safe trip. God bless you.

-Darlene


…. I am now on the airplane. I can’t keep reading the letters because I will not stop crying, but the words keep repeating over and over in my head. It is so hard leaving them. I will be back…

Mwen Renmen ou Ayiti <3

No comments:

Post a Comment