Tuesday, September 7, 2010

Day 2: CHO Haiti, Farewell Ceremony/ Room Party with the children!


Monday, Sept 7, 2010

This morning I got out of bed bright and early at 4:30am for the 5am church service at the orphanage. I didn’t even need an alarm to wake me because I had the sounds of a rooster and singing coming through my window. I actually enjoy the fact that the service is not in English because it allows me to really experience and be a part of the culture- and it is actually very relaxing and peaceful. Everyone here is extremely religious and they rely on God for every aspect of their lives.

After the church service, John and I were able to see all of the corn that grew in the garden that our mission trip created on our last trip here! We picked it and we will be having it for dinner tomorrow night!


We also brought some jump ropes outside to play with for a while. Two of the girls I am closest to, Darlene and

Malanata are so talented at jump roping… you can tell they get a lot of practice!!



We also had the opportunity to show the children the video documentary that I created with the footage from the last time I was here. They all circled around me to sing along as they watched and giggled while seeing themselves and each other on the screen!


By the time 9am came around, it already felt like the evening. At that time a school bus came to pick up over 40 children who will be leaving the orphanage because they are older than 18 years. Sitting on the edge of the truck-bed we sped through the muddy, rocky road full of large ditches as we followed the school bus. We arrived at a hotel where CHO was having a farewell ceremony for these children. This was a big day, a life-changing day for each one of them. A day full of mixed emotions- sadness, anxiety, and fear of the unknown, because so many of them do not have much life experience, if any at all, beyond the walls of the orphanage. Some do not have friends, family, or a place to go- everything and everyone they have ever known has been at the orphanage. Dr. Franco and many others spoke of how it is time for them to let go and send them on their journey to live their own lives. I even had the opportunity to speak at the ceremony giving them my words of encouragement and telling them the importance of setting goals and going the extra mile to achieve their goals, while following their personal values. After the speeches, everyone ate a big meal. Most of them had not ever had a meal so delicious before- French fries, pasta, planteens, rice, goat, chicken, and ice cream- and many will not have a meal like that again. I gave one of the boys my Miss CT autograph card as we were all socializing because he wanted my e-mail address to keep in contact. Well once I gave out one card, everybody wanted one. I didn’t have enough for everyone – but it seemed as though I had given them a million dollars; they were so excited! Finally, each young adult signed the papers with a lawyer that was present and CHO gave each person an $800 check to get them on their feet to begin their life journey. None of the children have ever had money like that in their lives. The hope is that they will use it a little bit at a time to buy food and pay for rent (Although, they have never learned to budget money before). Most went right after the ceremony to cash their checks. CHO spent about $40,000 on the ceremony and the checks each individual received- this is much more than any typical orphanage will give, they are not required to give anything.

When we arrived back at the orphanage, we spent a lot of time with the kids!! We played ball outside with them and ran around for a while. Then, for a treat we had a few of them come upstairs to hang out with us. I had Darlene and Malanata come up to give them some gifts that I had gotten them. Later Angelique and Margery joined with three other girls.. and of course Gaye Paye was there too!! John, the kids, and I spent hours in the room having a little party- listening to music, eating, painting the girls nails, making funny videos on the computer, and giving them gifts. We all had so, so, so much fun! You can tell that they don’t usually receive that kind of undivided attention at all- they all had HUGE smiles and were laughing the entire time. Gaye Paye was able to talk to Kim on the phone and we Skyped my parents and Stephanie for the children to sing to them. They all just left the room and I’m about to shower and settle in.. I haven’t gotten much sleep at all lately! What a great day!!!






No comments:

Post a Comment